June 4, 2017 Speaker: Jay Pound Series: Fruit: It Does the Body Good
- Paul - Imprisoned Apostle
- Philemon - Wealthy believer and slave owner, Onesimus’ former owner
- Onesimus - runaway slave, new believer and helper to Paul in prison
- Jesus - King, savior and brother of all 3
High stakes, and real damage, and the reality of God’s family
Why Make Peace? 2 Reasons:
- Reason 1: Because they are brothers (16).
- Family Logic: If Jesus is Philemon’s brother, and Jesus is Onesimus’ brother, then Onesimus is his brother too. (Triangle slide)
- You get both or neither (15-17).
- Reason 2: Because Jesus already covered the cost (18).
- The Logic of the Cross: If Jesus paid for Philemon’s sins, then he paid for Onesimus’ too.
- You believe both or neither.
Take Home Idea: Peace is a Fruit of the Spirit
God provides the cross as the grounds for making peace, and the Holy Spirit as the means
More in Fruit: It Does the Body Good
June 25, 2017Self-Control
June 18, 2017Gentleness
June 11, 2017Faithfulness