Time for Fasting or Feasting?
Scripture: Luke 5
Overview: Awe & Conflict
- The people were amazed...but the Pharisees questioned
- Why are those in authority so threatened by what Jesus is doing and saying?
Conflict #3: Time for Fasting or Feasting? (Lk. 5.33-35)
- Why don’t Jesus’ disciples fast like the disciples of John & the Pharisees? (5.33)
- Fasting was done to show contrition & plead for rescue
- Jesus’ answer: When the Messiah shows up, you don’t fast, you feast! (5.34)
Conflict #4: Time for Good Works or Evil Deeds? (Lk. 6.6-11)
- “Which is lawful on the sabbath: to do good or to do evil…?” (6.9)
- Keeping the Sabbath holy means setting it apart for God’s purposes, and setting aside their own (Ex. 20.8-11)
- Jesus’ Answer: When the Messiah comes, you do not stay on the couch, you join in his work and rule.
So how do we avoid making the same mistakes?
- Don’t confuse God’s actual plans with what you plan for God to do
- Look for where God is already at work and celebrate it