Just Like Their God
A Tense Situation (9.9-27)
- Gibeon wonders if Israel will honor a treaty built on deceit
- Israel wonders how God will respond to the treaty - and to their failure to inquire after him
- Be faithful to the treaty, or exit through the loophole
- Israel immediately sends their whole army, including their best troops (10.7)
- Though Gibeon negotiated in bad faith, Israel responded with great faithfulness (9.3-6; 10.7)
- They are faithful, just like their God!
- God responds to Israel’s faithfulness by affirming his faithfulness to them (10.8)
- God - as always - follows through on his promises (10.11-14)
- Conclusion: Just like our God
Take Home Idea: Just like Israel, we are a nation of priests, called to treat others not based on what they deserve, but based on how God has already done for us.