Setting: The Seeds of Disaster
- A promising start (1.1-26), but...
- They don’t finish the job (1.27-2.5)
- The don’t teach the next generation (2.10-15)
- Nor is there a godly leader to replace Joshua
The Downward Spiral
- Israel does what is evil in the sight of the Lord
- God therefore allows their enemies to attack and harass them
- Israel cries out to God for help and God delivers them (by raising up a leader/judge)
- Israel lives in peace...but then the judge dies, and the cycle starts all over again
- The people God had set apart to bear his name are now indistinguishable from their pagan neighbors
- There was no King in Israel, and each person did what was right in their own eyes (21.25).
Insights from Judges:
- God is faithful beyond all expectations
- God works powerfully through imperfect people