The Day of Judgment
Scripture: Mark 11:12–20
A Symbolic Act of Judgment: Jesus clears the Temple
- Who or what is being judged?
- The Chief Priests & Temple Leaders (11.17-18)
- The Temple Itself (11.12-14, 17)
- What are the implications of Jesus’ action? What does it reveal about Jesus?
- It sets Jesus on a collision course with the Jewish authorities (11.18)
- It signifies that the time of the Temple is at an end (11.20)
The incredible truth revealed in this incident is the same truth to which Jesus’ whole ministry has pointed: Jesus has come not to restore or rebuild the temple, but to replace it (Mark 2)
Take Home Idea: Now, as then, Jesus is the only way to God and his death is the only sacrifice by which we can be forgiven (Hb. 10.19-23).
Bonus Sermon Content