Scripture: Philemon 1
Living within the Roman Stories
- Onesimus: freedom from oppression
- Philemon: betrayed by one he trusted
How can Philemon & Onesimus choose to be shaped instead by God’s story?
- By embracing their new identities in Jesus
- No longer a slave, but a “dear brother” (16).
- By allowing what God has already done (and will do) to change how they live now (20-21).
- What Paul asks comes with costs and risks to them both
Take Home Idea: When we embrace our new identities in Jesus and live differently because of what he has done, we pull others into God’s story.