Looking For the Messiah
Scripture: Genesis 17, Acts 2
- What did Jesus’ contemporaries expect the Messiah to do?
- What convinced Jesus’ followers that he had accomplished them?
3 Foundational Promises (Gen. 17.1-8 & 2 Sam. 7):
- Possession of the Promised Land (17.8)
- Establishment of the Davidic Kingship forever (17.6 & 2 Sam 7)
- God’s presence among his people (17.7)
Interlude: Things Go Very Wrong
Fulfilled through Jesus the Messiah (Mt. 28.18-20, Acts 2 & 7)
- Davidic King upon the throne of all creation:
- “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” (28.18).
- Possession of the whole earth:
- “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations” (28.19).
- God’s constant presence through thehis Holy Spirit:
- “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (28.20).
Take Home Idea: Jesus is the Messiah who brought God’s promises to Abraham and David to their glorious and unforeseen fulfillment (Mt. 1.1; 28.18-20)