February 18, 2018 Speaker: Jay Pound Series: Courageous Discipleship
Scripture: Matthew 9:9–13
Why is eating with sinners a problem for the Pharisees?
- Jesus dinner guests are unrepentant sinners, and therefore unclean
- The Pharisees prioritized ritual purity above all else - including mercy
- Mercy, not ritual purity, is the higher priority
- This is his divine vocation, to bring mercy to those who need it
This leaves all who would follow Jesus with two, clear responsibilities:
- To receive God’s mercy
- To extend God’s mercy to others
Take Home Idea: Courageous discipleship requires receiving and extending mercy, because if you actually follow Jesus, you will end up eating with tax collectors and sinners.
More in Courageous Discipleship
March 4, 2018Courageous Witness
February 11, 2018Courageous Faith
February 4, 2018Courageous Loyalty