If God is in Control...What about our Free Will?
September 29, 2013 Speaker: Joel Sutton Series: If God is in Control...
Scripture: Acts 27:1–27:44
If God is in Control . . . What about our Free Will?
Pastor Joel Sutton, September 29, 2013
If God is in Control . . . Sermon 3
- God is the Sovereign director. vv. 22-25; 34
- We still have true choices. vv. 31, 33-36
- Our choices come with real consequences. vv. 31; Acts 2:23
- The final outcome is as God said. vv.43-44
Take Home Idea: While God is ultimately in control, we make choices that have real effects.
Sermon Discussion Guide
- Read Joshua 1.1-9
- Make a list of what God promises to do:
- To give them the land, every place their foot treads, no one shall stand against Joshua all the days of his life, to be with Joshua as he was with Moses, he will not fail or forsake them, etc.
- Make a list of what God commands the Israelites to do:
- Cross over into the land, be strong and very courageous, be careful to be obedient to the law, do not let the law depart from your mouth, meditate on the law, do not be frightened or dismayed, etc.
- In your own words, what do God's promises reveal about him?
- God is in control, God has a plan, God has the power to accomplish what he has promised, etc.
- What does the presence of God's commands alongside his promises suggest about the relationship between God's sovereignty and our free will?
- God is sovereign, but he still expects and desires our obedience.
- God has the power to accomplish his will and keep his promises even if we choose not to obey
- What do these two truths: 1. God is sovereign and 2. God desires our obedience, mean for us?
- It means that we freedom, ability - and motivation - to obey. We obey because God asks us to obey.
- It means that we can live and obey without anxiety, because we know that God is in control and can accomplish what he has promised, and nothing can change that.
More in If God is in Control...
October 20, 2013If God is in Control...Where are we going?
October 13, 2013If God is in Control...How Do We Make Choices?
October 6, 2013If God is in Control...Are there Coincidences?