The Drama program of First Evangelical Free Church attempts to enhance worship and to illustrate spiritual truths. This is sometimes done by portraying life situations which allow us to see the Christian life, with or without warts, from an outside perspective.
Sometimes Bible characters are so familiar -- or so distant -- that we fail to understand their human side. If they come alive, we better understand what they went through and how it applies to us. We can also be glad OUR lives are not written in the Bible.
- Anna "I have lived long, but not dear Levi. He died so very young, and we had no children...Why did He, Who holds us all in the palm of His hand, allow this to happen to me? I know from the Psalms of David, a man after God's own heart, that the Lord is not angry at us for honestly speaking to Him. But as time went on, that heart of mine was softened and my prayers began to focus on others. I was moved to pray for those who came to the Temple Courts. And when I did, the Lord revealed the mission of my life and the purpose to my sorrow."
- Shepherd "We were out on the hillside, the sheep were quiet and no sound of wild beasts to make us wary, you know, the kind of night when you say to yourself, 'It's just too quiet!' Then suddenly, there was a light. Not just a little light in the distance or the slow breaking of the dawn. No, sir, it was like the light of ten suns broke into the sky without a warning."
- Magi "Can you imagine our joy and amazement. Generation after generation of Magi had looked for this, the greatest of all events announced in the stars. Now we not only knew, we saw and gladly gave rich gifts. The tokens we carried were fit for a king, but only a faint reflection of the praise and adoration in our hearts."
- Joseph "The God of of Abraham, of Isaac, of Jacob and of Joseph, had again moved His mighty hand to save His people. For the child Mary carried was the long-awaited Messiah, placed there by the Spirit of the Living God. And I, the poor and ignorant worker, was to adopt, nurture and train the one of whom the prophets spoke. It was too wonderful and terrible all together."
- Mary "I am only a humble hand maid and cannot understand the great things of which the angel spoke. I knew that I was unworthy of such an honor and unequal to the great responsibility. ... Yet, how could I choose any other path but to obey the Lord God of Israel, because He had chosen me to bear and rear the one called the Son of the Most High."
- Zechariah "My name is Zechariah and I am a priest by descent from Aaron. Today, I am filled with joy as I tell you of the Lord's wonderful dealings with me."
- John "My name is John and I must tell you about the day that changed my whole life... actually the day that changed literally everything!"
- Centurion "I am a Centurion. I worked my way up through the ranks of the Roman
army to become commander of a century... 100 men. ...Of all the people that we executed, there is one I will never
forget. His name was Jesus."
- Pilate's Wife "I could see right away that although the Jewish leaders made it seem like a routine execution, there was something strange about the request. The man did not look or act like a typical rebel leader."
- Simon Peter "My name is Simon. Oh, maybe you have heard me called Peter --you know, "The Rock?" Jesus gave me that name way back in the beginning. I'm sure he meant it as an inspiration, but now I've gone and messed it all up beyond fixing. If I ever was a rock, what I turned into now is just plain mud."
- Judas "I have to tell you what is in my heart. I only hope you can believe me. Can't anyone believe me? I DID NOT INTEND FOR IT TO TURN OUT THIS WAY."
- Mary Magdalene "Jesus is alive! He was dead but he is alive again! Everything is all right because he is alive. We never need fear anything ever again. He will do everything else that he promised. He is alive now and forever."